Monday, December 30, 2019

The Woman of Caanan

By Ken G. Cooper


Matthew 15:21-28

My child is ill, what can I do
Physicians fail and I feel lost.
My heart is heaving, her eyes sad,
In motherhood there is such cost.

I reach out deep in prayer to God
To guide my frightened thought to peace:
“A man called Jesus he is near
With him you will find sure release.”

I want to bring my child with me
But she’s too ill to leave her bed:
A dear friend says that she will stay,
To “Go find Jesus, heal your dread”.

So God did guide my way to him.
For Jesus stood out from this crowd,
I thanked my God, and took this risk:
A gentile woman shouting loud!

“Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.”

I know he heard my frantic plea,
But he did not respond at all!
His disciples were no better,
Were annoyed by my constant call!

They sought the Lord to send me back,
They just did not want to know,
My urging and request he knew,
His message seemed that I should go!

 “I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

A cold rebuff, was this a test?
My need was great, he must sure see!
I went up close and begged again,
With tears I cried “Oh Lord help me!”

“It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.”

I heard his words, yet felt his love,
And list’ning, love did guide my thought:
The challenge still to try me more:
So! strong determination fought!

“Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.”

“O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt.”

And with his love I knew right then
That just one crumb of Truth does heal;
That what he spake came straight from God!
Her devil’s illness never real!

When I returned, my home in sight,
My daughter ran and fast met me!
In love we cuddled Oh so tight!
In Love, lives changed completely.



Download a PDF of this poem

©Ken G Cooper 2019                         
kencooperpoetry.com                     
kengcooper@btinternet.com                                                       
Ken G Cooper Poetry You Tube

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We invite your comments on our blog entries.